To advance lifelong learning and discovery in the humanities and social sciences and to develop critical thinking, analytical and communication skills that prepare students for successful careers in our global society.
To become a liberal arts college nationally recognized for innovative learning and critical inquiry that enhances our environment, improves the human condition and develops ethical leaders.
AddRan College is one of the largest and broadest academic units at TCU — each semester, students from all majors pass through our halls. The college comprises 13 departments including criminal justice, economics, English, history, geography, modern languages, philosophy, political science, religion, sociology and anthropology, and Spanish. The Air Force and Army ROTC programs are also part of our college.
The Center for Texas Studies, the Center for Digital Expression, and the Center for Urban Studies provide instructional and scholarly activities and programs for the entire TCU community.
Approximately 1,250 students major in our liberal arts programs each year. These students select from:
- 23 different degree plan options offered at the undergraduate level.
- Interdisciplinary programs such as African-American and Africana studies, Asian studies, British and Colonial/post-Colonial studies, classical studies and Latina/Latino studies.
- Graduate degrees are offered in the departments of criminal justice, English, history and geography.
At AddRan College, students learn from and work alongside imaginative and innovative professors. Our approximately 150 full-time faculty members are dedicated to TCU’s teacher-scholar model, providing meaningful learning experiences both inside and outside the classroom. Many AddRan faculty are nationally or internationally recognized in their respective disciplines and use their research and creative activity to instill in our students the excitement that comes from critical inquiry and curiosity.View Faculty and Staff
The AddRan College of Liberal Arts is named after Addison and Randolph Clark, the two brothers who started the AddRan Male and Female College in Thorp Springs, Texas, in 1873. The college was one of the first institutions of higher education west of the Mississippi River to be coeducational. The college changed its name to AddRan Christian University in 1889 and relocated to Waco, Texas, in 1895. The name changed to Texas Christian University in 1902, and the college moved to its current location in Fort Worth, Texas, in 1910.
AddRan College included the humanities, social sciences, mathematics, natural sciences and engineering until 2000, when it was reorganized to focus specifically on the humanities and social sciences. In 2008, our name changed to the AddRan College of Liberal Arts.
Most of our departments and offices moved into the Clarence and Kerry Scharbauer Hall, a 74,000-square-foot building, in 2010. Scharbauer Hall also houses the John V. Roach Honors College. This facility provides state-of-the-art classrooms, team rooms for student interaction, a New Media Writing lab, a language acquisition laboratory, computer classrooms, a debate chamber, special classroom for physical anthropology and artifact storage, and a geographic information system laboratory.
Reed Hall, one of the three original buildings on the TCU campus, has been completely renovated to house the Center for Texas Studies and the departments of English and history.