The History Graduate Committee considers applications during the spring semester. Applicants must submit their materials before February 1. Late applications will not be accepted.
Applicants to the TCU Graduate History Program must have:
- A bachelor’s degree with at least 24 semester hours in history (any applicant lacking these qualifications may be admitted conditionally, but must take such preparatory work as may be prescribed by the Graduate History Committee. Students must also present a strong academic record and provide evidence of an ability to do scholarly research and writing).
- Competetive GRE scores.
- An applicant to the Ph.D. program must hold an MA degree in history.
Students earning the MA degree at TCU must reapply to AddRan College before being admitted to work toward the Ph.D. degree.
- A completed application form
- (3) letters of recommendation
- Please submit letters from three people who are familiar with your academic work. Applicants who have been out of school for some time may submit recommendations from work supervisors. Please keep in mind that recommendations should comment on skills and aptitudes relevant to advanced scholarly work in history. Your recommenders may submit their letters online or by mail; you will be able to choose from these options in the course of the online application.
- Current resume/ CV
- $60 application fee (electronic payment due at the time application is submitted)
- Statement of purpose
- Applicants must submit a 500-1000 word statement of their academic and professional goals. It should describe your academic background and preparation, indicate what area or areas of history you want to study and outline your career goals.
- Writing sample
- Please include a 1-15 page sample of academic or scholarly writing. A chapter of a master’s thesis or a research paper you have done for a previous course is recommended.
Separately, you will be asked to submit the following materials directly to the Director of Graduate Studies, History Department, TCU Box 297260, Fort Worth TX 76129:
- Graduate Record Exam Scores
- The application form will ask you to enter your scores, but TCU also requires official score reports for the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) general test. The History Graduate Committee places greatest emphasis on scores in Verbal Reasoning and Analytical Writing. Please request your scores using school code 6820 to have your scores sent directly to the History Department at TCU. For more information on the GRE visit www.gre.org.
- Official transcripts of academic work
- Applicants must supply official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended, sent directly to the History Department by the registrar of the institution. Applicants who are finishing a degree program should submit current transcripts but will be expected to submit final transcripts showing records of all work done and confirming the awarding of the degree.