Skip to main content
Main Content

Advising for Undergraduate English and Writing Majors

A student meets with their advisor

Our majors are encouraged to meet with their designated English advisor at least one time per semester. Advisors can help students plan course schedules, design a program of study, and structure their core classes in preparation for work in the major.

Our department has a low advisor-to-student ratio, which ensures that each of our majors is afforded plenty of time and professional attention when meeting with their advisor.


Advising Grids

Advising FAQs 

You can always contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Dr. Jill Havens, describe your problem, and, if necessary, schedule an appointment.

Dr. Jill Havens is the advisor for minors and for transfer students.

It depends on the course. Some courses are offered every semester (usually introductory courses), some courses are offered in a fairly dependable rotation (like survey courses), and still others may be offered only intermittently (specialized upper-division courses). If you want to know more about a specific course, contact the faculty member who last taught that course or contact Dr. Jill Havens.

We have several resources that can help you with advising. We encourage students to schedule an advising appointment with their advisor every Fall and every Spring during advising week. If you have any questions about when advising week is, or how to schedule an appointment with your advisor, please contact the Department of English office at (817) 257-7240. We strive to provide the best resources possible to help with advising, but it is ultimately up to each student to meet all of the requirements for graduation.

All of your advisors will be listed at the top of your degree progress report. If you have not yet officially declared English or Writing as a major, but are considering it, and would like to be advised by our department, please contact Dr. Jill Havens to schedule an appointment. Dr. Jill Havens is the advisor for minors and is also the advisor for transfer students. If you need assistance, you are always welcome to call the Department of English office at (817) 257-7240.
All students must complete WCO 1 (ENGL 10803) and WCO 2 (ENGL 20803) core credit. If you took special courses and/or tests with the hope of getting credit for these requirements (AP/CLEP), then it is up to the registrar to determine whether your situation warrants credit for either one of these courses. Please contact the Registrar’s office at (817) 257-7825 if you have any questions about AP or CLEP credit.
Yes!  You may double major in English and Writing, major in one and minor in the other, or major in English or Writing and minor in Creative Writing. Students have chosen all of these combinations. You may want to make sure to review these degree plan options with your advisor to account for all rules and regulations.