Join the club.
Join the club.
La Mesa Hispanica
Any student interested in the Spanish language and cultures of Spanish-speaking countries is welcome to join La Mesa Hispánica. Club activities allow students to practice their spoken Spanish, engage with the Fort Worth Latino community and much more. For further information, please contact the club’s faculty advisor, Ms. Karla O’Donald, firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Spanish Honor Society
Sigma Delta Pi, the National Spanish Honor Society, honors students who attain academic excellence in studying Spanish language, literature and culture. This group encourages college and university students to acquire a greater interest in and deeper understanding of the cultures of the Hispanic world. Membership is also open to graduate students.
- Each candidate must have completed three years of study of college-level Spanish (18 semester credit hours) or the equivalent thereof, including at least three semester hours of a course in Hispanic literature or Hispanic culture and civilization at the junior (third-year) level. A student may be admitted to active membership while still enrolled in the second junior-level course if all other requirements have been met and if the instructor of the course certifies that the student’s work is of “B” or “A” quality.
- Candidates must have a minimal grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 point scale in all Spanish courses taken.
- Candidates must rank in the upper 35 percent of their class—sophomore, junior or senior—and
must have completed at least three semesters or five quarters of
college work; if an institution does not track class rank, then a 3.2 cumulative GPA may be used to meet this criterion.
- Graduate students who have been unconditionally admitted to a degree-granting program may be elected to membership upon completion of two graduate courses in Spanish with an average which, if continued, will make them eligible for a graduate degree.
- Sigma Delta Pi does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age or disability.