In addition to TCU’s full range of scholarships, AddRan offers competitive scholarships for liberal arts majors in Spanish, writing, Air Force ROTC and Army ROTC. Learn more about all TCU scholarships.
The Bryant F. Collins and Edward A. Bell Scholarships in Spanish
The Bryant F. Collins Scholarship and the Edward A. Bell Scholarship are awarded annually to outstanding students of Spanish and Hispanic studies. The two awards usually total about $3,800.
To qualify, students must major in Spanish and Hispanic studies and show appropriate financial eligibility to receive this award. Students also must have a TCU cumulative GPA of at least 3.0, and a GPA of at least 3.5 in Spanish courses taken at TCU. To apply, students must have completed a minimum of six credit hours at the level of 30000 or above.
The following materials must be submitted to the Scholarship Selection Committee of the Department of Spanish and Hispanic Studies:
- Completed application form (also available from the Department of Spanish and Hispanic Studies, Scharbauer 3100)
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty who are familiar with the student’s academic work—one letter from a Spanish professor and one letter from a faculty member of a department other than the Department of Spanish and Hispanic Studies.
- A 500-word typed essay, double-spaced, written in Spanish. The topic of the essay should be any subject related to the student’s career goals, his or her experience with Spanish and Hispanic culture, or another topic related to the student’s study of Spanish and Hispanic studies.
Contact the Scholarship and Financial Aid office, 817-257-7858, to determine your financial eligibility before applying for the scholarship.
For further information, see your Spanish professor or inquire with the Department of Spanish and Hispanic Studies, Scharbauer Hall, Room 3110, 817-257-7366.
Scholarships for tutoring in Spain
The Spanish Ministry of Education, Social Sciences and Sports offers several scholarships for U.S. university students or recent graduates to serve as conversational tutors for Spanish students learning English in Spain during the academic year. The deadline for applications is usually mid-April for the following academic year. Learn more.
Student Travel Fund
This annual award enables Spanish and Hispanic studies majors, especially those preparing for the teaching profession, to attend academic conferences and workshops.
Two $1,000 awards are available to cover travel-related expenses (registration, transportation, meals, hotel accommodation). Awards are available on a first-come, first-served basis each semester.
Students may be recommended by faculty members, but applications are welcomed as well. All interested students should send a letter to the Spanish and Hispanic Studies Chair Dr. Steven Sloan, specifying the following:
- Your information: name, year at TCU, courses taken/taking, grades (Spanish courses only), minor
- Event, venue, dates (if known, and if you have an event in mind, also provide budget)
- A paragraph stating why you are interested in applying for the scholarship (potential benefit to you)
- A simple letter of support from a TCU professor of Spanish (if a bilingual Education major without having yet taken a Spanish course, let Dr. Sloan know your situation)
Upon returning from the conference/workshop, you will be expected to present a report on your learning experience to the Spanish and Hispanic studies faculty. Applications are reviewed each semester on a rolling basis.
Spanish Scholastic Achievement Awards
During our annual Awards Day, we give out two sets of scholastic achievement awards:
- The Antonio Rivarés Award for Outstanding Scholastic Achievement in Spanish and Hispanic Studies is given to the most outstanding graduating major in Spanish each academic year. The award honors Dr. Antonio Rivarés, professor emeritus of Spanish, who taught at TCU several years ago.
- The Faculty Choice Award for Excellence in Spanish is given to outstanding students of Spanish and Hispanic studies each academic year.