The TCU Sociology Society is a voluntary association of sociology majors, minors and interested students who discuss current events and possible careers. This group meets twice a month.
Sociology Honor Society
The department sponsors the Lambda Chapter of Alpha Kappa Delta, the international sociology honor society. The TCU Lambda Chapter of Alpha Kappa Delta recognizes outstanding scholarship among sociology students. Members of AKD, part of a rich heritage dating to 1920, join 80,000 inducted scholars at more than 490 chapters across the world.
Life member status is conferred upon on students who have been approved for membership by a chartered chapter and who have paid the initiation fee. The status of voting member is conferred upon life members who maintain a current subscription to Sociological Inquiry, the official journal of the United Chapters of Alpha Kappa Delta. Eligibility for membership is determined by the respective chapter according to criteria that meet or exceed the following minimum requirements:
- Must be an officially declared sociology major or demonstrate a serious interest in sociology within an official program of the host institution.
- Must be at least a junior (third year) by standards of the host institution.
- Shall rank in the top 35 percent of class in general scholarship. If class rank is not readily available to a chapter representative, in lieu of class rank, students shall have accumulated the equivalent of an overall grade point average of at least 3.3 by a four-point scale where: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0.
- Must have maintained the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA in sociology courses taken at the host institution prior to initiation.
- Must have completed at least four regular courses in sociology prior to initiation (exclusive of extension or courses graded pass/fail).
Interested students may contact Dr. Morri Wong, AKD adviser, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 817-257-7472.
Student Anthropological Society
The TCU Anthropological Society is open to any TCU student with an interest in anthropology, regardless of major. We meet on a regular basis to have fun and learn more about anthropology, and sponsor events such as film screenings, guest speakers and field trips to educate others in the TCU community about anthropological issues.
Contact any of the officers to ask for more information about the society or to suggest ideas for events.
Lambda Alpha National Collegiate Honors Society for Anthropology Xi of Texas Chapter
President: Crichelle Brice