Ph.D., English - The Graduate Center CUNY, 2011
MA, English, The University of Southern Mississippi, 2003
BS, English Education, Mississippi State University, 1999
ENGL 10123:Introduction to Drama - The Body in Performance
ENGL 10133: Introduction to Literature - The Body in American Literature and Culture
ENGL 30563: American Drama Survey
ENGL 30573: African American Literature Survey
ENGL 40533: Toni Morrison
Areas of Focus
20th and 21st-century American Literature
Race and Ethnic Studies
Gender and Sexuality Studies
Literatures of the African Diaspora
“Witnessing and Wounding in Suzan-Lori Parks’s Venus.” Multi-Ethnic Literature of the US (MELUS) – Special Issue: Visual Culture and Race. 39.2 (2014): 188-207.
“Navel-erasing: Androgyny and Self-Making in Toni Morrison’s Song of Solomon and Jamaica Kincaid’s The Autobiography of My Mother.” Imagining the Black Female Body: Reconciling Image in Print and Visual Culture. Ed. Carol Henderson. New York: Palgrave MacMillan, 2010. 145-161.
“Holler if Ya Hear Me – Book by Todd Kriedler, Lyrics by TuPac Shakur. Directed by Kenny Leon. Palace Theatre, Broadway. New York City (Review) 21 June 2014.” Theatre Journal. Volume 61.1 (2015):124-127.
“Stick Fly by Lydia R. Diamond.” Directed by Kenny Leon. Cort Theatre, New York City. (Review) 7 December 2011.” Theatre Journal. Volume 64.3 (2012): 441-444.
“Trans-formations: Black Women and Gender Performance in the Nineteenth and Early Twentieth -Century.” Modern Language Association Annual Meeting, Austin, TX. (January 2016).
“Healing Theory: The Personal and the Pedagogical.” Black Women’s Intellectual Work for Our Times. Minding the Field: Exploring and Expanding Women’s and Gender Studies in North Texas. UT Arlington. (October 2015).
“The Sight of Memory: Re-visioning Slave Subjectivity in Lydia Diamond’s Harriet Jacobs.” American Studies Association Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada. (October 2015).
“The Walking Dead: Black Bodies and the Law.” Northeast Modern Language Association. Toronto, Canada (May 2015).
“Bearing Witness: Performative Emotionality in Contemporary Black Theatre.” Modern Language Association, Vancouver, Canada. (January 2015).
“‘Your silence will not protect you’: Audre Lorde and the Black Female Body in Pain.” Celebrating African American Literature, Penn State University (October 2013).
- Junior Faculty Summer Research Program, Texas Christian University, 2015
- Research and Creative Activities Fellowship, Texas Christian University, May 2015
- Emory University Manuscripts and Rare Books Library Fellowship, May 2015
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in African American and African Diaspora Literature, Rutgers University, 2014. (Declined)
- Alternate, Ford Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship Program, 2014
- Carolyn G. Heilbrun Dissertation Prize for Outstanding Feminist Dissertation in the Humanities, The Graduate Center, CUNY, 2011
- MAGNET Dissertation Fellowship, The Graduate Center, CUNY, 2011
- Modern Language Association
- Northeast Modern Language Association
- American Studies Association
- Multi-Ethnic Literatures of the US